Your Questions, Answered:

Everything You Need to Know

Why no more plastic?

Less than 9% of plastic gets recycled in the US, due to a combination of murky recycling requirements, local limitations and many people simply not choosing to recycle. The other 91% end up in landfills, incinerators or as plastic pollution, scattered in the natural environment, unfortunately. Plastic doesn’t biodegrade. It can take thousands of years for plastic to break down, releasing toxic chemicals into the earth and disintegrating into tiny particles in the process. These microplastics then end up everywhere from the air to our food. Our plastic consumption has become so staggering that people now ingest up to 5 grams of microplastics each week — roughly a credit card.

What is our cling wrap made out?

Our material is derived from naturally occurring hydrocarbon which turns into a fully biodegradable polymer when buried in real soil environments and composts, it breaks down completely, turns into CO2, water and leaves no toxic residues behind.

Why is our material different from other bioplastics?

Our material will biodegrade naturally in a short period of time. Unlike other eco-friendly materials and biopolymers, such as PLA (cornstarch, sugarcane starch) it will biodegrade in industrial composting facilities and also in a home compost. Our material is not sourced from food crops, will not produce methane if it ends up in landfills. Most bioplastics produce methane if discarded in landfills — methane is at least 25% worse than CO2.

What is greenwashing?

Greenwashing is when a company presents their products or actions as an environmentally friendly solution, even though their claims are false, misleading or untrue. As more consumers prioritize sustainable products, greenwashing is a way to stay relevant without doing the real work.

What does biodegradable mean?

Something is biodegradable when it can be consumed or otherwise broken down by biological activity into naturally-occurring compounds in every natural setting, including the ocean.

What does compostable mean?

Compostable materials are materials that have been certified to break down completely into non-toxic components (water, CO and biomass) that will not harm the environment, given the right conditions. It can be separated into industrial and home composting. An industrial composting facility offers a controlled environment that can produce enough heat to biodegrade bioplastics fast, though those facilities are not widespread available. Without it, Bioplastics, like PLA (cornstarch) that need to be sent to industrial composting facilities will end up in landfills. Home composting can be done in your backyard. It will take longer than industrial composting due to lower temperatures, therefore it is only possible to biodegrade certain bioplastics, like our material that is labeled home compostable. If an eco-friendly plastic is labeled “compostable” , it does not mean it will also be home compostable.

How long does our sustainable cling wrap take to biodegrade?

If our material is sent to an industrial composting facility, it will take 2-3 months to biodegrade. In a home compost it will take up to 1 year and in soil it might take up to 2 years to biodegrade depending on the soil environment.

Why do our products have a shelf life?

Since our material is biodegradable in a short period of time, it needs to have an expiration date. Our products are here to serve their purpose and disappear after thrown out. The expiration date will be one year after production. Please find the date stamp on the bottom of your packaging.